9.26.2009

chasing the trains


I've lost track, and I forgot to check before I got out of the car tonight, but I'm up somewhere around 2500 miles travelled in the past week. Crisscrossing the desert from field site to field site. I'm feeling very tired, very antsy, and very much in need of some fresh vegetables and some exercise.

I arrived at the latest site this eve. A research station this time, so I have a 'real' bed tonight, but all that means is a foam mattress in a bunkhouse. Twelve hours of driving and I arrived in the dark. Up before 6 tomorrow to get cracking on the field work.

No one came out to greet me when I arrived, although supposedly they knew I was coming. The lights didn't work in the building where I was supposed to be staying, and as I was clamoring around in the dark, searching for another switch it occurred to me that this is how scary movies start. A woman, alone, in the West Texas rangelands, pulling into a dusty cluster of buildings in the dark. It crossed my mind that I may be getting too old for this nonsense.

I elected to move myself to the kitchen building, which also has beds in it, and functioning lights. And door locks. No cell phone signal here, but at least they have wifi.
Everything will look (and feel) better in the morning.

No comments: