7.07.2009

ode to a field notebook


This one is not the first, and it certainly will not be the last, but it is the latest in a long line of reliable field assistants.  Like that preppy family that seems to always have a Golden Retriever named Molly, I buy a new one of these babies every time the old one runs out of pages. 

It has served, in no particular order, as:
-data sheet
-pillow
-plate
-hammer
-rain hat
-battering ram
-plant press
-seat
-bug squisher
-visor
-tripod
-t.p.
-kindling
-and I'm sure several more uses that are slipping my mind at the moment.

I have used them to record everything from fire weather to GPS coordinates to plant lists to sampling locations and everything in between. 

The pages are waterproof, and they have grid lines.  Oh, I'm a sucker for the grid; far superior to regular lined pages.  

They come in spiral bound and flip top styles as well, but give me the traditional bound every time.  I like to be able to stack them together on my bookshelf; tangible evidence of fieldwork accomplished.

It is not too much hyperbole to say that if I did not love biology so much already, I would become a biologist just to get to use this notebook.  

The End.

No comments: