1.10.2008

Thanks, I'll just call a cab.
Or: the post in which I finally nerd out about radio in plain view

While driving back from MI last week I was passed by several screaming ambulances sporting this inspiring logo:



Really? Did they think that would inspire confidence?

But to be honest I came pretty close to needing their humble (but assuredly well-qualified) assistance about ten minutes later. Southeast of Chicago, just fading out of the listening area for WBEZ. They were airing Re:Sound, a show of highlights from the Third Coast Audio Festival, which in general is good, but on this particular day, it was a clip of Robert Krulwich, waxing poetic about Sean Cole, my second favorite radio producer of all time. I was so engrossed in it, and the signal was fading in and out. I was racing to find high points in the landscape, slowing when the signal came back in. Have you ever tried to find a high point in eastern Illinois? Erratic driving-- that's why I almost needed Bud and his fleet of ambulettes.

Not to put too fine a point on it or anything, but if I wasn't already in love with a another certain talented radio producer who also happens to be handsome and good with puppies....well, anyway...I have a not-so-secret radio crush on Sean Cole.

It started with the Quabbin Reservoir.

Then a seemingly innocent, but blindsidingly hilarious, Marketplace story about Clocky. I mean, who else says "hump" on public radio?

But really, its was summed up best on Re:Sound. Maybe you won't feel the way that I do, but I think you'll agree that it's techniques like his that make for enjoyable radio-listening.

And while you're at it, check out the actual documentaries that they have in the stacks at Re:Sound. It's so much better than reruns on tv.

No comments: